Brown Rice Porcupine Meatballs is a classic retro dinner that is diabetic friendly and made in the oven.
Brown Rice Porcupine Meatballs
Share This RecipeYum
This Brown Rice Porcupine Meatballs is a classic retro dinner, made in the oven. This recipe makes a great addition to a hearty meal and these baked porcupine meatballs are a great choice for a busy day. Simply simmer the meatballs in the oven in a tasty seasoned broth for 30 minutes. The brown rice in the meatballs will have puffed up all around the meat, and your meatballs will look like little porcupines.
Write a review
- 1 pound lean ground beef (at least 95%)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, chilled
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 16 ounces low-sodium vegetable juice
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix beef, rice, onion, seasonings, and beaten egg.
- Form into 8 meatballs.
- Place meatballs in baking dish, add the vegetable juice, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a green salad dressed with a little olive oil and lemon juice, if desired.
- Choices/Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Lean Protein, 1/2 Fat
Adapted from The Budget-Friendly Fresh and Local Diabetes Cookbook
Going My Wayz https://www.goingmywayz.com/