Garlic Hunan Beef is a spicy stir fried beef with garlic, ginger and thai chilies, this dish is one of the most popular on menus in Chinese Restaurants.
Share This RecipeYum
Use Shaoxing wine in this Hunan beef recipe, which is traditional Chinese wine, fermented from rice. If you have trouble finding it, no problem! A dry sherry will also work with this easy Hunan beef recipe. One of my favorite aspects of making Hunan beef is how easy, simple and quick it is to get it to the table! You can prep ingredients while the beef is marinating.
- 1 pound flank steak , sliced thinly against the grain
- 1 tablespoon garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger , minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup Shaoxing wine
- 2 de-stemmed and crushed dry Thai bird chiles
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- sesame seeds for garnish , optional
- In a large ziploc bag add the steak, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, black pepper, wine, chiles, and cornstarch.
- Marinate for at least two hours, I recommend overnight.
- Heat your wok on high and add the canola oil.
- Remove the beef from the marinade (reserve the marinade) and add to the wok.
- Cook the beef for 30 second on each side until caramelized.
- Add in the reserved marinade and stir to combine until thickened, 15-30 seconds.
- Serve immediately with steamed broccoli and rice.