Slow-Cooker Beef Stew, what could be easier?
Share This RecipeYum
Searing beef on the stovetop adds a few minutes to your slow cooker routine, but it’s well-worth the payoff in flavor. Serve this stew with a side of steamed green beans for a balanced weeknight meal that makes your kitchen smell inviting all day long.
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 lb lean beef stew meat (such as round), visible fat trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups fat-free, low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Place the flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef and toss to coat.
- Add oil to a pan over high heat. Add beef and sauté for 6-8 minutes, turning frequently until evenly browned.
- Transfer beef and all remaining ingredients to a large slow cooker.
- Cover and cook in slow cooker on low for 8 hours.